Organizations are made up of a mix of people, perspectives, and motivations. Talk to people within the organization (and key partners) to understand the business and what drives it within. This provides you a foundation to build your research plan and design approach.
- 3-10 stakeholders
- 30-60 min per interview
- Remote or in-person
Pairs well with
- Assumptions Mapping
Understand business goals, drivers, & competition
How to do it:
- Identify key stakeholders within the organization and partner organizations.
- Gain access to those stakeholders with help from a gatekeeper.
- Prepare a discussion guide (more of an outline than a script)
- Schedule one-on-one or small group meetings.
- Conduct interviews, ask stakeholders about their experiences and motivations.
- Summarize results.
Internal Stakeholder Interviews – User Interviews
Where to start when it comes to working with your stakeholders.
How to understand your clients? Guide to Stakeholder Interview
It is not the only designer’s role to take care of a good user experience. The thing that is just as important is bringing UX and business goals together, striking the right balance between those two, that is a key for the project’s success.
The Delicate Art of Interviewing Stakeholders – EightShapes
EightShapes shares their tips for interviewing stakeholders on your project.