Customer Journey Maps
In order to design what is best for the user, we need to understand their end to end experience. This diagram will serve as a holistic view of actions, influences, thoughts and emotions with and surrounding interactions with your brand or organization.
- 1-5 maps (by function or personal)
- Minimum 2 researchers
- 1 day per map
Pairs well with
- Opportunity Statements
Get design buy-in from business stakeholders
Present insights & opportunities from research
Understand user behaviors, attitudes & needs
How to do it:
- Gather insights from primary and secondary research.
- Select a framework/template (What are the stages? What rows will you include).
- Map out the customer touchpoints, grouped by a goal.
- Overlay the customers’ thoughts, emotions, actions, influences, needs, and pain points as they move through the process of accomplishing a specific goal.
- Use the map to identify opportunities for intervention and improvement.
Journey Mapping is Key to Gaining Empathy – UX Planet
A deeper drive into using journey mapping as a tool to building empathy.
How to Build an Experience Map – Niall O’Connor
An experience map showsthe journey a customer has while experiencing a product or service. It also shows what competitors and your business are doing relative to this journey.
How to Create an Effective Customer Journey Map – Hubspot
Hubspot presents their insights and templates for customer journey maps.
5 Essential Components of Effective Customer Journey Maps – TandemSeven
TandemSevent presents five critical components to ensure that your customer journey map is successful.