Explaining complex mental models can be challenging. A card sort exercise is a way to help users express their thoughts around abstract concepts in a clear way. (i.e. How do they view their debit card in the context of their spending habits and money in general?)
- Minimum 5 people
- Maximum 60 cards
- In-person with physical cards
- Remote with digital tools
Pairs well with
- Ethnographic Research
Understand user behaviors, attitudes & needs
How to do it:
- Break down a list of content or concepts that need to be organized.
- Design a card set from your list (and optional blank cards).
- Recruit, schedule, and incentivize participants.
- Present cards and instructions to participants (one-on-one).
- Allow the participant time to review and sort the cards, thinking out loud as they go.
- Discuss sorting logic with the participant.
- Summarize findings to your team.